Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2008

July 4th









The 4th of July is probably my favorite holiday. I love the family time. Growing up everyone would go to my Grandparent's house- they had a big farm in Washington. We would have a big picnic/potluck and my Grandpa or Uncle would mow a baseball diamond in the field. The people who didn't want to play sat in the shade near Home Plate and cheered us on while we played. Then my dad was in charge of a fireworks display- people chipped in money and they got quite a lot, the neighbors would come up to watch as well.
The 4th is quite different now, but every year I remember the good times we had and I want to make it that way for my kids. We BBQ-ed souvlaki and invited 3 other families, lunch was great, but it's a little too hot here to be playing baseball (100 degrees) so as the talked turned into quotes from The Princess Bride, we decided that would be a good way to spend the afternoon. In the evening we went to our traditional fireworks stand and headed out of town to a friend's house. (We aren't supposed to light fireworks inside city limits.) The boys all had money to spend and enjoyed making noise, Naomi did really well and enjoyed them all, clapping after each one and trying to pop the snappers.
I really like taking pictures of the sparklers- here's a couple of my favorites from this year.

1 comment:

Liz's Random Thoughts said...

Awesome!!! I remember going to Grandma's once or twice when I was really little than we just moved it to my house. I've seen pictures of the family 4th of July stuff before Grandpa died and before I was born and it looked cool!

Taking pictures of fireworks so cool....:D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails